Re: Effective Arguments for Unique Control Names...?

Subject: Re: Effective Arguments for Unique Control Names...?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: <pdenchfield -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:24:11 -0400

From: <pdenchfield -at- yahoo -dot- com>

> I plan to visit the user interface design team and educate them on the
> problems of identically-named controls when writing user documentation.
> Suggestions, anyone?

Yes. Don't "educate" them. Meet with them and learn from them their reasons
for making the design decisions they did. Then, when you understand the
software from the user's perspective, document it. Unless the design is "bad,"
from a user perspective, do what someone else suggested here -- take screen
captures. The only perspective worth anything to a company that wants to sell
software is the user's perspective. Our difficulties with documenting an
otherwise effective user interface are our problem, as another poster pointed
out. If, however, you believe the user interface is not the best, you can
diplomatically express that to the design people and explain why you think
that (offer an alternative, perhaps). But your needs are not important,
really. The user's needs are important. If that means identically named
controls, so be it.

I hope you'll report back here with the outcome, because I expect that a bunch
of people are all rooting for you!

Bonnie Granat
GRANAT EDITORIAL SERVICES
http://www.editors-writers.info