Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:27:41 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: August 13, 2003 04:16 PM

> "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote on 08/13/2003
> 04:03:49 PM:
> > I am not interested in getting a security clearance for
> > its own sake. I am primarily interested in being employed.
>
> As are most people I suspect.
>
> > In normal times, you get the
> > job and THEN get the
> > clearance. It is a NEW thing to require a clearance first.
>
> Is it really a new thing? In "normal" times are there really so many more
> positions open that an employer can expect that only minimally qualified
> people will apply and they should just take the first person they see as
> acceptable and trainable? Sounds like the times which are being pined for
> are as abnormal as the current situation.

Having a clearance has NOTHING to do with whether you are qualified to do the
job. I'm getting tired ot saying it.

> Seems to me if one of the wants for a position is clearance it will ALWAYS
> be a requirement on the job announcement. The only difference between an
> employer or employee market is the amount of time or likelihood that a
> requirement will be modified to a want.
>
> > It's much different. It's a catch-22 right now. Nobody in
> > their right mind
> > would take "a" job in order to get a clearance.
>
> Seems like the old complaint from high schoolers and college grads. Can't
> get experience without experience. Somebody in their right mind may just
> take "a" job in the mail room to get a foot in the door and learn the
> ropes at a company they're interested in.

Please. I'm talking about jobs for which I am otherwise perfectly qualified
and likely to be chosen as the best candidate. That's why I get angry. I am a
perfect fit except for the fact that I don't belong to that special class.

> > There is no method for getting a clearance except getting
> > HIRED in a job that REQUIRES ONE.
>
> See above and suggestions by others.

> Apply for the jobs even if you don't have clearance. Make sure you impress
> on the decision maker that the ONLY thing you're missing is the clearance.
> MAYBE you'll get hired and trained/cleared, maybe you might be hired to
> replace the internal employee that gets the actual job announced. Then
> next time YOU will be the internal employee who knows everything EXCEPT
> the secure stuff and are a better option to clear than someone who neither
> knows the product/work environment AND doesn't have clearance.

Well, this conversation hasn't been a total loss: I shall now apply for jobs
for which I feel I am likely to viewed as a good candidate otherwise. Thank
you, Eric, John Gilger, and anyone else who directly addressed my concern
about that. Maybe my anger will dissipate, as I won't be invisible any
longer.

Bonnie Granat
GRANAT EDITORIAL SERVICES
http://www.editors-writers.info