Re: Not Sure

Subject: Re: Not Sure
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 00:47:18 -0700 (PDT)

""Tamara Reyes-Muralles"" <> wrote

> Can someone tell me what a communication generalist is because I have never
> heard of the term. Thanks.

Generalist is basically code for "ocean wide, puddle deep." In other words,
generalists will take a long time to ramp up to speed on the technologies,
methods, and processes of an organization because they don't have a specialized
well of experience to draw upon.

Generalists have their place in some organizations. I would classify
"generalists" as entry-level and junior positions.

Also, don't confuse a "generalist" with an "integrator." They are NOT the same.
You cannot successfully integrate disparate systems, concepts, or methods using
a broad swath of limited skills.

Integration is a job for a highly specialized class of analyst. An "integrator"
must have intimate and detailed knowledge and experience in the relevant
concepts. For example, integrating Linux with Oracle isn't something for a
general open-source enthusiast. Such a job would demand a person who is
intimately experienced with BOTH Linux and Oracle - as well as the overall
concepts that may govern such usage (database design, systems administration,
networking, etc.)

What generalists are good at is basic, task-level work. Something where they
can apply general skills (like desktop publishing, light editing, document
distribution, etc.).

Yes, I am biased here. And yes, I fully expect at least two or three people to
be enraged over my bias and call me all sorts of foul names. But, my bias is
derived from managing consulting teams for about 8 years. I've seen what
"generalists" do to projects. They mire them in theories and concepts and don't
drive them forward. Theory cannot replace hands-on knowledge. But you already
know that.

Here have a cookie.

Andrew Plato

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com