RE: Using screenshots in Online Help

Subject: RE: Using screenshots in Online Help
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:56:02 -0400

Anitha,

I use screenshots and partial screenshots extensively throughout the on-line
help systems I manage. The applications I document are extremely complex
financial services applications, and I know from feedback that I have users
at all levels who need to access on-line help. So the structure of the help
systems includes extensive use of dynamic html. This allows me to include
the screen shots in a "drop down" link. Advanced users are not likely to
need it, but beginners often need it to orient themselves for assurance that
they are where they thought they were.

This approach means that the screen shot doesn't take up additional real
estate in the help window unless you happened to click it. I don't know
whether documented research would say I'm doing the right thing, and frankly
it makes no difference. Our client financial institutions are quite happy
with what we provide, and so are their users. That's all the proof I
require!

The structure also includes conceptual topics, procedural topics and
reference topics and it's pretty clear from the TOC and index structures, as
well as the "more information" links exactly which is which. As you're
planning the structure of your documentation, it's incredibly important to
utilize two concepts: understanding the level of experience of your
typical, and atypical users, and providing an organization that allows entry
to the on-line help system from many different points. Once you have a
handle on this, the use and frequency of screen shots should become clearer.

Hope this helps!

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)
connie -dot- giordano -at- fmr -dot- com

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause I'm afraid
that we've been cheated here on Earth" - Clint Black "Galaxy Song"