technical Writing in a Nutshell

Subject: technical Writing in a Nutshell
From: Con & Yu <dorun -at- m3 -dot- dion -dot- ne -dot- jp>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:21:33 +0000

Hello, I am new to this list and would like to explain myself before I ask
several questions. If the questions were inappropriate for the list please
excuse my ignorance.

I am a 42 years old Japanese and work as a graphic designer. Studying
English is my hobby as well as a new work requirement. Recently I have taken
an interest in technical editing, mainly because the company I work for is
now doing more work in that area.

While my area is mostly in the print field I would like to know the opinions
of the other list members on the following questions.

1. I have heard that technical editing differs from regular editing. I
believed that "editing was editing". What is the main difference and
qualifications between a "regular" editor and a "technical" editor?

2. I am reading a book on editing and it seems to portray management on the
side of the editor. Is this true in technical editing as well?

3. As a designer I would like to know how technical editors prefer to
display discontinuous phenomena such as AM radio broadcasting reception
zones.

4. Again as a designer how do technical writers and editors handle artwork
that is deemed offensive by management?

5. In design Illustrator and Quark are the main programs for prepress. In
technical writing/editing is there one system, method or product more
relevant in the process of preparing reproduction ready copy?

6. As a writer/editor, which is the most important part in language to
avoid: Hyperbole, Rhetoric, or Jargon?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Conchan