Re: Testing Candidates (was: The Results)

Subject: Re: Testing Candidates (was: The Results)
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:16:23 -0700 (PDT)

> Wow - do you really believe that? How many bad
> writers have you taught to
> write well? And EASILY, at that? Put your method for
> doing so into a book
> and you'll get rich. Seriously.

Well, that's a loaded question, isn't it? ;)
Answer: none.
Qualifier: I have never hired a bad writer.

Maybe I'll write a book after all. "Ted, Alice, Bob,
and Carol's Guide to Hiring Technical Writers"

LOL!

> I really in my heart of hearts believe some people -
> even very intelligent
> people - just can't be taught to write well, just as
> I - despite an ample
> belly - can't be taught to belly-dance. Sorry for
> the image - I was trying to make a point. <g>

Oh, no doubt there are many smart people who can't
write well. But, weeding out the poor writers can come
after weeding out the candidates who can't think.

I think I see your point though. If you've been burned
by crappy writers in the past, you're more apt to be
cautious when hiring.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com