RE: interviews and ethics

Subject: RE: interviews and ethics
From: "Lippincott, Rick" <Rick -dot- Lippincott -at- flir -dot- com>
To: "Goober Writer" <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:52:11 -0400

Goober asked:

>Have you ever been to a job interview only to find out
>later that the company flat out lied to you?

Yes, although it was not a tech writing position. I had interviewed for
a position as a newscaster at a radio station. They hired me. When I
showed up for work the first day, they told me that they actually didn't
have a news department (and didn't plan to start one up) and assigned me
to work rotating shifts as a board engineer.

>How did you handle it?

I tried to make a go of it, but within a week realized that the
combination of the fact that I had no interest in the job, couldn't do
it well, and the rotating shifts was killing my sleep schedule...well, I
called the program director, told him it wasn't going to work out, and
left the job. I don't regret the decision for an instant.

--Rick Lippincott
FLIR Systems
Billerica, MA