RE: interviews and ethics

Subject: RE: interviews and ethics
From: "Smith, Martin" <Martin -dot- Smith -at- mdx -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:39:15 -0600

Goober Writer asked "...Have you ever been to a job interview only to find
out later that the company flat out lied to you?..."

Yes. Years ago when I was living in Los Angeles I applied for a technical
writing position advertised in the newspaper. Soon thereafter I received a
call from the company and scheduled an interview.

When I showed up at the address they had given me and opened the door I
found myself in a large room in an unfinished office building. About 50
other people were standing around. Then someone addressed the crowd and
began a presentation for a water purification system that attaches between
the water main and a person's house. The whole thing turned out to be a
scam. They were recruiting people to sell these water purifiers door to
door.

Needless to say, I left.

Martin R. Smith