Re: Marketing email - VENT

Subject: Re: Marketing email - VENT
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "Cheryl Wallace" <cwallace -at- costlink -dot- com>,"TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:39:18 -0400

LOL! Depends on whether or not your fate is in the hands of
that salesdood! ;-) I've found that most non-writers
appreciate a quick edit before a piece sees the light of day.
But tact is important. Don't bleed all over the piece, and
remember that most marketing writers follow the API style
guide rather than Chicago, so serial commas are not a big
issue with them.

I generally get my foot in the door with a few well targeted
comments -- along the lines of "you've misspelled 'stamis'
in the third paragraph" or "I like the piece, but it might
be more effective if you clarify the quote attribution on
page 3".

Once you've caught a couple of typos or beefed up the
arguments in a critical sales piece, you can get put on the
list of people who need to review/sign off on an advert
before it goes public. (so be careful what you wish for!)
HTH!
-Sue Gallagher