Printer spewing paper

Subject: Printer spewing paper
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:35:59 -0400

I happened to walk by a printer spewing blank pages a little while ago. I tracked down the person who had sent the doc to print, and he said he had occasionally experienced the same thing before.

In this case, it was something that had come to him as an email attachment (lawyer to lawyer, so we're not dealing with technical geniuses here), and he had just opened it and sent it to the printer.

I tried to fix the doc on his machine by saving it to disk, Maggie-ing it, and a couple of other things. No dice. So I had him forward it to me, and I printed it with no difficulty on a different printer, from the original email.

The printer that occasionally spews is an HP 4000. The one the doc printed successfully on is a Xerox 230. I didn't see anything particularly odd about the doc except that it was typed in Courier New (that's lawyers for you), with Arial headings. I mean there were no problems opening it or saving it, no weird graphics, no tables, etc.

Anyone have any insight into the cause of this phenomenon?

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]