Re: Please explain this phrase

Subject: Re: Please explain this phrase
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:58:35 +0200

I am a
little confused here, maybe because I have not had enough coffee this
morning, but I always understood that "English" and "metric" were the
same and that America uses the "Standard" system.

The metric system is the metric system. If you want to get fancy, you can call it the SI system; or you could call it the standard system (which I haven't heard so far) because almost everybody uses it.

The US system is called the US system (which is appropriate because it is used in few other places), the English system (because it originated there) or the Imperial system (same reason, the empire in question is the British one). To refer to it as the 'standard system' is highly misleading at best.

Your confusion may be caused by the fact that even Britain is ahead of the US in ditching the outdated US system, but that doesn't make the metric system English. (If you want to associate it with a country, you could call it the French system, because 200 years or so ago, the French provided the strongest impetus for it.)

Jan Henning

Jan Henning
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web:

RE: Please explain this phrase: From: Oja, W. Kelly

Previous by Author: Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem
Next by Author: Re: interview and ethics
Previous by Thread: Re: Please explain this phrase
Next by Thread: RE: Please explain this phrase

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads