Re: Please explain this phrase

Subject: Re: Please explain this phrase
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:30:16 -0500

I want to thank those of you that responded both on and off the list.
The original comment threw me a little bit. As for Jan's comment, I do
remember that the French are responsible for the metric system from a
Stellar Astronomy course I took a few years ago in college. Something
about the distance from Paris to the North Pole. I do not remember the
scientist's name, but I do remember that his calculations were fairly
close.

I understand the US system quite well, and have a general understanding
of the metric system, but I have not taken the time to learn the
conversions, because... I do not care. I did find the whole
English/Imperial bit interesting though. I would agree with some of
those who stated that the US system should not be called Standard, but
to an SUV-driving, Happy Meal-eating American... it is and always will
be.

Again, thanks to those responded.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone

Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM) now with email
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...