Re: Rensselaer Human-Computer Interaction Certificate Online

Subject: Re: Rensselaer Human-Computer Interaction Certificate Online
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:37:04 -0700

I know. RPI was one of only three school that had a full-fledged Technical
Communication Department (as opposed to a TC degree as a part of another
department) in the country. (My school, Washington, is one of the others.)
And RPI has long had a fine, fine reputation.

And I know grad school tuition is always more than undergrad. When I
finished, I was paying full-time undergrad tuition of $351/quarter. In the
10+ years since, Washington state, like many other states, worked to balance
state budgets on the backs of students, raising tuition dispropotionally to
the rise in inflation. With education being the best long-term economic
stimulus, raising barriers to said education is a sure-fire way to long-term
economic ruin.

Soapbox aside, anyone know of any similar distance-learning HCI certificates
or degrees?

I've never tried the distance learning thing; I've always like a phyical
presence in a classroom. What pitfalls might await me if I took the
distance-learning fork in the road?

Chuck Martin

news:210399 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-