Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem

Subject: Re: Print-ready Graphics Problem
From: "Ed Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:55:45 -0400

When I first read your post last week, I tried something with Windows that I
think is enlightening.

I copied a screen using nothing more that ALT + Print Screen key. I pasted
this to Windows Paint, and saved that. I switched to Photoshop Elements (and
also tried this in Photoshop), created "New from Clipboard" and saved that
as a BMP.

I opened both files in Photoshop, and found that the screen capture pasted
into Windows Paint was a 96 ppi document, while the second file was a 72 ppi
document.

However, both BMP files contained the same number of pixels: 1024 x 768. The
file sizes are identical.

As you move forward with what appear to be "typical" screen captures, each
subsequent program you use can interpret the "standard" file format
differently. The quotes are mine. I think this type of exercise demonstrates
that there are pitfalls, and the software you use either performs the way
you expect, or introduces new properties which must be understood in terms
of what happens downstream in your job flow.

Ed

http://www.eWurster.com/blog/
Consulting, Programming and Maintenance
for Computer Systems and Networks
Training, Technical Writing and Web Design