RE: Conferences in the early 21st Century

Subject: RE: Conferences in the early 21st Century
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:14:05 -0700 (PDT)

> I can tell you from experience in conference
> planning and attending that
> many of these types of conferences and their
> locations are planned three
> to five years in advance.

But that's because you're "competing" for a good
location, right? Well, I'm arguing that the criteria
(for a few people I've heard from already) is no
longer "a cool place" but "a affordable place".

> Also, a lot of
> people use the conference as a "vacation" and bring
> spouses, etc.

Hmmm. I tried that once. Not only did my wife and I
spend very little time together, but it was stressful.
Plus, we only did it because she could drive to where
I was and room cost was same for one or two people.

What's important to you in a conference? Location? Or
knowledge?

I could give 2 toots about the location and the
surrounding attractions. I'm there to learn. Funny
thing, that's the same viewpoint my employer has.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com