Re: The last minute crunch

Subject: Re: The last minute crunch
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: techwr-l
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:52:40 -0400

Chuck Martin wrote:

Are your developers under the (all-too-common) illusion that becuase
it's "just" the docs, that their requests should be easy?

A few rounds of, "I just noticed this screen where the capitalization of the field labels doesn't match our style guide; could you just take a few minutes to fix it before the product ships?" will drive home the point. <g>

Once you get toward the end of a product cycle, what are you procedures for
product changes? Many places I've worked require that any such requests get
tracked, often in the bug database. "Bugs" that are actual feature requests
have to be scoped out and approved before they are implemented. And true
bugs have to be prioritized; not all bugs can always be fixed within the
scope of the project.
Exactly. Just like the capitalization errors on the screen labels.

Is there such a process there (I can hardly beleive
that there's not; "IBM" and "process" are synonyms), and if so, are the
developers going around that process, either because they think the issue is
so small or they believe that docs aren't part of the development process?

IBM and process used to be synonyms. The new, more agile IBM is full of creative people who do what they can however they can get away with it. That's not necessarily a bad thing.