business analyst?

Subject: business analyst?
From: "Andrea Brundt" <andrea_w_brundt -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 18:38:22 +0000

Any tech writers out there ever worked as a business analyst?

I've heard the job can sometimes be a good next step for a tech writer (I've also heard that tech writing can be a good next step for a business analyst). I've seen postings at software companies, consulting firms, financial services companies, and elsewhere, and there seems to be a wide variety in the job descriptions. I'm intrigued by the jobs that include a lot of needs analysis and product design. But I've never had an opportunity to talk to a business analyst about what the job entails.

So, my question -- have you ever worked as a business analyst? Ever worked closely with one? Any thoughts on the overlap between tech writing and business analysis?

Thanks!
Andrea