RE: PHD in Tech writing

Subject: RE: PHD in Tech writing
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:04:36 -0400

G. Abenhaim wrote:

> Id like to share my input with you. Maybe in the US it is
> different but here
> in Canada it is like this as far as I know.
>
> Most tech writers have certificates in tech writing and a Bachelor is
> English, Journalism or Languages or even Computer science.

That is my experience as well. (I have a Diploma in Tech Writing and a
Bachelors Degree in Engineering.)

> Most people dont know the field exists.

I'm not convinced that this is true in Ottawa. Perhaps it is, but not to
the same degree as in Montreal. A couple of years ago, whenever I mentioned
my job in tech writing to a new acquaintance, I'd get a sympathetic look and
a murmurred "I'm so sorry. Nortel, right?" [Nortel was the biggest local
employer of tech comms up until the Tech Wreck.]

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at pixelink.com
http://www.pixelink.com/

Sigmund Freud ... wasn't he the guy that invented those great psych tag
lines?