Re: PHD in Tech writing

Subject: Re: PHD in Tech writing
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:25:16 -0700

I disagree with this and the posts that take similar stances. Technical
Writing (Technical Communication, user Assistance Engineering, Information
Development, etc.) is an engineering discipline with its own body of
research. One person told me years ago that advanced degrees in the
discipline (he was getting his Masters) focused more on the theoretical than
the "practical" (such as how to use tools or how to edit).

But that theory is knowledge. Knowledge that can help you do your job
better. Knowledge that can help you do you job faster. Knowledge that can
lead to a better return on your company's investment.

The discipline is about far, far more than just writing. Gaining theoretical
knowledge, as well as practical knowledge, increases your competence. Taht
said, it probably won' lead to "fortune and glory," but that's rarely the
lot of Ph.Ds anyway. (It's reserved more often for the CEOs and VPs and the
venture capitalists and the lawyers.)

If I were to take the time to get an advanced degree, though, it wouldn't be
in TC, but in HCI. And if I had the money, I would definitely take the time.

Chuck Martin

"Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com> wrote in message
news:211837 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

In my opinion, I believe the people that pursue a PhD in tech comm are
most likely on the path to working as a college professor, and not
planning on working as a tech writer. In my very humble opinion and I
hope I do not step on any toes here, if a tech writer does pursue a PhD
with the idea of fortune and glory as a tech writer, I think it would be
a waste of money. But again, I think a vast majority going for the PhD
have plans on becoming a professor.