Re: Object-oriented folks: Properties, Fields, Values, Variables, Attributes?

Subject: Re: Object-oriented folks: Properties, Fields, Values, Variables, Attributes?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:16:35 -0400

<techwrl-list-only -at- doitall -dot- com> wrote:
> What I am asking is: what do I call data properties within an object in a
> situation like this? Properties? Fields? Values? Variables? Attributes?

This sounds like the *least* of your problems with this document :-)

My 2 cents:
Do - Choose a term and stick with it. Try to minimize the amount of
conditional text you have to maintain.
Don't - build an elaborate web of conditional terms, just because you can.

Here are two factors to decide how to choose a term:
1. Who is your biggest expected market? (Use their term).
2. Who would be most offended by seeing the wrong term? (Use their term).

For example, you rarely see manuals localized to US vs. UK English, because
it's not worth the expense, and the Brits seem to have gradually become
resigned to reading US English everywhere :-)

Mike O.