Re: Giving credit...

Subject: Re: Giving credit...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:08:30 -0700

Quoting John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>:

> Have any of you ever done something like this and what was the reaction?

I do, frequently. On several projects, I've listed the entire development team
in an appendix.

My reasons:

- It's the polite thing to do.

- Many developers are inwardly motivated. They're not overly concerned about
money, but they usually appreciate their efforts being recognized or praise
(That explains the otherwise inexplicable fact that some developers will work
long second shifts on free software projects for which they don't get paid:
they love the recognition that working on a major project can bring). Giving
people what they want in return for real value received is one of the best ways
to get along with them - it's as simple as that. Once I understood is that what
the average developers want is credit for making a contribution, I stopped
having problems getting along with them. Giving credit takes little time, but
it builds good relations.

Once or twice, I've had non-developers in management suggest that a credit be
removed. Once, a developer was scrupulous enough to note that he didn't deserve
full credit. However, I've never had a developer, even a team leader, express a
wish not to take credit.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177

"And the riot squad, they're restless,
They need somewhere to go,
As lady and I look out tonight
From Desolation Row."