Re: PHD in Tech writing and biomed

Subject: Re: PHD in Tech writing and biomed
From: "Brautigam, Curtis" <cubrautiga -at- state -dot- pa -dot- us>
To: 'TECHWR-L digest' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:01:03 -0400

I have been following the threads about the Ph.D. in technical writing.
IMHO, I do not think that a Ph.D. in technical writing would be a good
investment in today's technical writing job market. If one is willing to
consider a career doing research in the theoretical aspects of technical
writing either in a university or applied research institute setting, a
Ph.D. in technical writing would be worthwhile. Of course, the downside to
this is that the academic job market as a whole is far worse than the
technical writing job market, and the opportunities in doing theoretical
research in technical communications are few and far between. I do not think
that many employers of technical writers would be impressed with a Ph.D. in
technical writing unless it is coupled with the actual technical knowledge
that they seek. The money for an advanced technical writing degree would be
better spent in acquiring the technical knowledge that employers generally
seek.

I do believe that there will probably be more hiring of technical writers in
the health care and biotechnology industries in the future. When I was
seeking work last year, I noticed that there were many ads for technical
writers in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, especially in
southeastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey, although most of them were for
contract positions. I have also seen technical writing job ads for HMOs and
health insurance companies. The pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries
are subject to heavy-duty regulation and they require all sorts of
documentation. In addition, there will be a need for writers who are
familiar with the regulatory aspects of the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act (HIPAA). However, the catch is that these ads also call
for a medical and life sciences background in addition to technical writing.
Furthermore, even health care and biotechnology companies can experience
layoffs. During my job search last year, I interviewed for a contract
technical writing job at a facility of leading pharmaceutical company. I did
not get the job; at the end of the year, the facility announced that it was
laying off 900 people because it discontinued its main product line. Even
nurses get laid off these days, my wife (who is an RN) was laid off in March
2003 from an alcohol and drug rehabilitation facility. She found a new job
in geriatrics (a sector in big demand).

Chaim Brautigam
Descriptive Statistician 1
Center for Workforce Information