Re: Biomed - Wave of the Future - Evolve?

Subject: Re: Biomed - Wave of the Future - Evolve?
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:36:01 -0400

Goober Writer wrote:
> Great. How long will it take you to have an in-depth
> understanding of the subject matter in order to take a
> scientists notes on the matter

A computer scientist? probably about 48 hours or less.

A biologist? Much longer - I might not even take that job if I felt it was
too far over my head.

The point is that the biotech/biomed industry is creating a lot of IT jobs
for apps that manipulate the data.For example, if a pharma company is
building a J2EE app, they will probably look for developers with J2EE
experience, not biology degrees.

I'm not talking through my hat here. I have worked with s/w applications for
clinical labs, chemical inventories, and pharma manufacturing controls. In
every case, my IT experience was much more important than the domain
knowledge - not that I didn't acquire the necessary domain knowledge. At
some level, it's all just data processing, and there are only so many ways
to move and store data.

Mike O.