Re: SME vs. Audience

Subject: Re: SME vs. Audience
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: twriter01 -at- mindspring -dot- com, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:05:28 -0700 (PDT)

> As a technical writer, I would like to be the SME
> and "one with my audience." However, that is not
> always the case. If you have to pick one path, which

> would you choose: be "one with your audience" and
> interview your SME for information that you know
> your audience needs, or become an SME, and then
> write for the intended audience, or do something
> completely different?

My take is as follows:

The whole "SME or User Advocate; pick one" mentality
is crap. You can be both.

As a technical writer, it is your responsibility to
have thorough technical *and* implementation knowledge
about that which you are documenting.

Many SMEs forget about the users, and many user
advocates forget about technical issues. You should
focus on BOTH, as you cannot properly advocate your
users' needs without understanding what that
translates into on the tech side, and you certainly
cannot add value to your wealth of technical knowledge
without knowing why and how it's intended to be used.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com