Re: Managing documentation in a rapid/agile/extreme programming environment

Subject: Re: Managing documentation in a rapid/agile/extreme programming environment
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:19:11 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com wrote:
>Most of what I've been able to find on the web about documentation in
>agaile environments is about internal code documentation rather than about
>product user documentation. Does anyone who has worked in an
>agile/rapid/extreme environment have any recommendations about managing
>user documentation in that environment?

We've had pretty good luck keeping the docs in a Twiki
for the raw content as long as possible, then dumping
them into SGML for production at the last minute.
Maintaining them in Twiki allows everyone to "own" the
content, and keeps the writer from being a bottleneck in
the XP (eXtreme Programming) process. The engineers are
quite responsible about making their
annotations/corrections/comments clear, which helps.
After dumping into SGML, of course, collaboration becomes
much more difficult.