RE: Omitting table and figure numbers?

Subject: RE: Omitting table and figure numbers?
From: "Bill Burns" <bburns -at- qds-solutions -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:41:39 -0600

I often find figure numbering useful, but I've seen more than one major high-tech company that doesn't do it. Open an HP LaserJet user guide (try the HP LJ 1100 all-in-one or the HP LJ 2200), and you'll see that they typically don't number their figures or tables. (However, they DO number both in their service manuals.) A look at the PaintShop Pro 7 getting-started and reference guides, the Adobe Frame 7 guide, and the WebWorks Publisher 8 guides also demonstrates that figure numbering isn't a ubiquitous tech-comm practice. Is figure numbering a good practice? It depends. In some cases, figure numbers are additional visual noise. Do I like to use them? Sometimes.

Table numbering in many cases seems to make more sense to me. However, again, I wouldn't apply the "always include" approach here either. It depends on the context, the type of document I'm producing, and the audience I'm addressing.

So I would hire someone who doesn't use table or figure numbering, as long as that person omitted them for a good reason.

Bill Burns
Documentation Supervisor/MS Help MVP
Quality Design Systems
bburns -at- qds-solutions -dot- com