Re: What's on your TC bookshelf?

Subject: Re: What's on your TC bookshelf?
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:06:55 -0500

Ohhhhh, I totally disagree. When your publisher tells you that you are doing X, you do it b/c you want your crappy $12K advance and your 4-18% royalties, which equals out to ~$25/hr for writing the bloody book. Authors do not get to proof their indexes, at least not in my publishing experience.

Michele

Susan W. Gallagher wrote:

I have friends who are professional indexers. They'd never
let that shoddy a job out of their shops. And, IMO, if a
technical writer writes a book for technical writers, there
are no excuses for lack of quality in either writing or
information design (of which an index is a part). The audience -- at least this little segment -- knows better.

Horton has his name on the book. Horton is to blame for the
shitty index. He should know better.