Re: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?

Subject: Re: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:13:02 -0700 (PDT)

I've never had my typing clocked. Really, typing speed
is irrelevant for tech writing. But if they want to
know your speed, clock yourself. And if you think
doing so is silly, then don't (I wouldn't).

How would I handle the cover letter/interview? I
wouldn't even mention it unless directly asked. I'd
then reply with something like "To be honest, I've
never bothered to time my typing. I get a lot of work
done, and have produced a ton of docs in every
position I've held. You can time me if you wish (I do
have some level of curiosity as to my speed), but I
honestly do not think there is a strong correllation
between typing speed and tech writing aptitude."

What have you got to lose? Yeah, you need a job. But,
if the job's a good one and there are good people
behind the wheel, then they AND you will know that WPM
is irrlevant and was slipped in by someone who is not
in the know. If it turns out they want a secretary who
can handle big words and more complex subject matter,
well, do you *really* want *that* job?

Food for thought.

- Goober
"I can type 60 unique smileys a minute."

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com