Re: Blocked?

Subject: Re: Blocked?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:16:50 -0400

Chuck Martin wrote:

You could show them a screen capture of what their precious HTML email looks
like in a reader that is set up to read plain text. Hint, it's ugly.

Or you might ofer an analogy: do you program your web site to not allow
Netscape users to view your content? The percentage you block may be small,
but especially in this economy, can you afford it?

Chuck,

As I said, that's a battle for another day.

But virtually nobody we're writing to receives HTML as tagged text in their mail client.

The majority of our target audience can read HTML email or a gracefully degraded version of HTML (where their server converts incoming HTML to readable plain text). For them we offer a first paragraph (invisible in HTML display because the text is white) with a link to a Web page. For mail clients that barf when the see any HTML, the message comes in as multi-part MIME, with the text part basically saying, hey, you can't read this. (I wish I could edit the text part, but it is inserted by the mailing tool and it is buried in compiled code where I can't get at it to change it.)

In any case, I'm lobbying to send out plain text mailings that just include enough of a tease to get someone to click a link and view the full invitation in a browser. I'll have to split the mailing list in half and track the response rate both ways if I'm going to convince anyone that this is a better idea, though.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]