RE: Blocked?

Subject: RE: Blocked?
From: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <christine -dot- a -dot- anameier -at- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:42:04 -0500

Nancy Kaminski commented:
> Unfortunately it lets through all the Portuguese spam. For some reason
> I get at least twenty emails a day, all in Portuguese, about drugs, mailing
> lists, cell phones, and ways to enhance certain body parts, among other
> spammish topics. Does anyone else get foreign-language spam?

I get deluged with Brazilian spam written in Portuguese. After numerous naïve/futile complaints to the ISPs involved (chiefly telesp.net.br), I set up a series of Outlook rules. First I started a rule with a list of words that have appeared in the spam (dinheiro, trabalho, astrologica, oportunidade), which I modify periodically when something gets through. Next, I added a rule that permanently deletes everything with ".com.br" or ".net.br" in the message header, since I get nothing from Brazil but spam. In some cases, the email subject and forged sender address are in English, and the only clue in the header is that the reverse DNS shows an IP address beginning with "200." -- so I now have a rule I'm testing that dumps any message with "(200." in the header into Deleted Items, where I can verify that it's spam before deleting it permanently.

If anybody wants a copy of these Outlook rules (suitable for importing into Outlook 2002), feel free to email me.

Christine