Re: Hiding Columns in ER diagrams in Visio

Subject: Re: Hiding Columns in ER diagrams in Visio
From: bcliver -at- manu -dot- com
To: Karen Casemier <karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:07:15 -0400

Hi Karen,

Are the Entity Relationship diagrams imported from an ERwin model? When
you say Database > Reverse Engineer...is this a Visio template?

Barry Cliver
Lead Technical Writer
Manugistics, Inc.

Barry Cliver
Lead Technical Writer
Manugistics Inc.

I'm creating ER diagrams (Visio 2000). I used the Database>Reverse
Engineer
function to import all my tables. Due to the nature of this database, we
do
not have "true" foreign keys, so I need to manually add the relationships
between the tables.

The problem is that some of the tables have over 100 columns, so it
becomes
hard to work with the entity shapes. In the final diagram that is included
in the documentation, only the table name and primary keys are listed for
each entity. What I would like to do is hide the column names in the
entity
shape on the diagram, but not remove them from the table itself - I need
them still associated with the table so I can properly set up
relationships
between tables. So far, all I've been able to do is remove column names
(using the Remove function on the Columns tab of the Database Properties
dialog). But once I do that - they are gone from the table. ARGH.

Any ideas? Do I make any sense at all? It is a Friday, after all.

Thanks!

Karen Casemier