RE: Re: How do we read?

Subject: RE: Re: How do we read?
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:50:17 -0700 (PDT)

Am not sure what's going on, but jumbling the letters
in that way did not slow me down at all, and I did not
have to think harder (which explains my spelling <g>).
Well, perhaps I can turn off the spellchucker
altogether, eh? Looks like my publications could take
an interesting turn <hehe>.

Cheers,

Sean

--- Gene Kim-Eng <techpubs -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

> It's a lot more complicated than that, because not
> everyone
> learns to read English the same way. ESL readers
> may or
> may not read sentences as phrases, and whether they
> do or
> don't will vary depending upon their own native
> language.
> And then there are those unfortunate native English
> readers
> who are the result of "whole language" teaching.
> They may
> look at that sentence and either be totally lost
> because> the jumbled words don't sufficiently
resemble the
> "images"
> of words they were supposedly taught to remember, or
> if > the "images" are close enough for them to
recognize