Re: What Are the "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills?

Subject: Re: What Are the "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills?
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Ted Engel <ted_engel -at- hotmail -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:45:45 -0700 (PDT)

> Obviously, strong writing skills, a passion for
> learning, and a mastery of
> software programs such as Microsoft Word, Adobe
> Framemaker and Acrobat, and
> RoboHelp provides a strong foundation, but what are
> the skills beyond these
> that truly make a writer marketable?

The abilty to think, question, and explain.

> Is it XML? XSLT? Flash? Adobe InDesign? VisualBasic?
> Indexing? Web
> usability? These are obviously just a small number
> of what are many
> possibilities, but I'd like to know what you think
> are the most valuable
> skills for a writer looking to move ahead of the
> curve, both today and in
> the coming two to three years.

Know your subject matter and get a grip on the pulse
of whatever it is you enjoy doing. Everything else
will fall into place.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com