Re: Word: Index in Master Document

Subject: Re: Word: Index in Master Document
From: Maggie Pierce Secara <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:52:51 -0700 (PDT)

Just avoid the whole Master Document mess. Only a handful
of people on the planet have ever made it work for them,
and your experience is only one of the milder weirdnesses.
When a Master document goes wrong, it goes very wrong.
(The archives are full of admonitory testimony.) Instead,
put each chapter into a separate document and use RD fields
to organize your Toc and Index. Look in Word Help under
"Field Codes" for the method, and ask if you need more help
puzzling it out. As long as you want chapter numebrs in the
pages numbers (it's harder if you want continuous
numbering) you'll be in good shape.

Maggie Secara

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:07:01 -0600, in
> bit.listserv.techwr-l
> lawrence_landis -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:
>
> > $As a test, I mocked up the contents of 3 Word docs. I
> had Word include the
> > $chapter number with the page number in the footer of
> each.
> > $
> > $I then made a master doc and included these 3
> documents as subdocuments.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com