RE: To FAQ or not to FAQ?

Subject: RE: To FAQ or not to FAQ?
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:40:26 -0400

Hart, Geoff [mailto:Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA]

> /kevin wonders: <<Do you think that there's value in
> perpetuating an issue
> in the form of a FAQ, ...>>
>
> There's merit to both:
[...]

And another corner heard from...
But seriously. I always appreciate hearing what Geoff
has to say on a topic.

I agree that both have their merits -- leaving an issue
in a FAQ format or pulling it into the "official" product
documents. But a disadvantage of doing both, simultaneously,
is that they take different forms (in my experience), so you
can't just copy one to the other, or use a hot link. That
brings up the issue of maintaining the same information in
multiple places... the reverse of publishing a single piece
of information in multiple documents.

I guess I should expand some of the other arguments that have
arisen on this single aspect of a big discussion.

One is that Customer Support have been doing it for a while,
and they will continue to be the clearing house for the questions
(cuz they are customer-facing) and the answers (cuz they take
the responses from our developers and from their own efforts
and create answers -- and re-worded questions -- that will
be meaningful to the largest audience). So, my role should
be to review the FAQs for ideas to improve/update my docs, and
to provide editorial assistance to the Customer Support authors.

Another consideration is that some people like the idea of a
single owner for all Customer Documentation, who has responsibility
for the content and for the presentation. That way, it all
shows a consistent, cohesive corporate face. They do have a point,
but one problem with that approach is that I have to fit it in
between my product/project-related documentation jobs... which
are becoming very tightly scheduled in recent times. If a piece
of information can't be made public until it goes through my
hands, that introduces a (to me, unnecessary) delay.
Better it should get out there as soon as possible than that
it be delayed until the next hole in my schedule.

It may look like I already have my mind made up that the FAQs
should stay with Customer Support, and that I should stay with
my more formal documents, and any support that you folks supply
will be gratefully accepted. However, I know the variety of
points of view that are represented here, and there may well
be some good reasons to do it differently, as well as ways to
minimize the possible disadvantage(s).

I reserve the right to ask you gang to bolster my prejudices
or to destroy them. <g> Or both at once.

Meanwhile, thanks, Geoff.

But, here's a different question that has popped up:

How many people say FAQ as "a FAK", and how many say it
as "an efF Ay Qyoo"?? I have slid from the latter to the
former, over the years. Sometimes I'll spell it out when
speaking but, mostly, I or others will say "that sounds
like a Fack to me".

Cheers,

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com