Re: Marketing Yourself

Subject: Re: Marketing Yourself
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:39:21 -0400

A friend of my wife found is worked best if he put his PhD under "Hobbies".

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 06:56:45 -0700 (PDT), Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

I also hesitate to put the PhD on my resume as the
MFA in Writing has gotten negative responses. What do you think? The
PhD is in English, not rhetoric.

Well, how does that song by The Hives go?... "Do
believe I told you so.. Alright!"

;)

Not to make light of this by any means (heard the song
on the drive in and was in my head). But, as I've
indicated before, I've seen the title "PhD" turn many
employers away, as they immediately draw the
conclusion that the PhD-holder will want more control
and power in the company than the open position will
provide. But, depending on the opportunity, I'd
include it. If it's a mid-level writing position, I'd
be hesitant. If a senior-level position, it might be
more appropriate (especially if with a large public
company).

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com