Locking headings in MS Word?

Subject: Locking headings in MS Word?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:45:34 -0400

Kunzang wonders: <<I am in the process of creating a standard document
template for my department. The template contains various level headings and
a few lines that tells the author what should go into that section. For
example:
1. Introduction (heading 1)
A brief introduction on the product...
I do not want authors to delete the headings... is there a way to lock
headings in MS Word? I want the users to add appropriate content under each
section and if some sections are not applicable to their product, they can
just put an NA.>>

It's easy enough to do: turn the Word document into a Form, and lock the
form so the text that describes each field can't be edited. (Word's online
help on forms isn't very good, but it will get you started and let you
experiment with the Forms toolbar.) The only real problem with this approach
is that someone (probably you) subsequently has to convert the results into
an editable file, which will be tedious if many documents are being
produced.

Alternatively, using a database or spreadsheet would let you design an
efficient data-entry form, with instructions provided by each field. For
some things (you gave the example of operating systems), you could even
provide a pick list (e.g., from a dropdown menu) to avoid the need to type
information, thereby eliminating typos. After filling out the form, users
save the file in the native file format. Word can import Excel files
directly; probably the same for Access files, though the import filter isn't
installed on my computer so I can't confirm this. Resave the file in Word
format so you're working with a pure Word document. _Don't_ embed an Excel
spreadsheet or Access table in Word; it vastly increases file size and
complexity.

A wizard would work much like the data-entry form, only you'd prompt the
user for input one screen at a time. To build one, you'll have to learn a
bit of macro language programming in Word to create the dialog boxes that
prompt users for text entry. I haven't played around with these features, so
I can't provide detailed guidance, but I'm told it's reasonably easy to do.

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone."--Bjarne Stroustrup (originator of C++ programming language)

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com