RE: weird product decision, must make weird documentation decision

Subject: RE: weird product decision, must make weird documentation decision
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:54:52 -0700 (PDT)

----------------------------------
Andrea Brundt asks
There's a new set of dialog boxes in my company's software. They replace
an old set of dialog boxes that did pretty much the same thing so I think I have to address this in the content.

How many dialog boxes are there? You could simply document all of the new dialog boxes and put them in the main flow of your document, and keep the set topics for the old dialog boxes in a sepearte section. Then, including a "see also" or some other link from the new topics to its corresponding old topic. You could also have the topics for the old dialog boxes in a separate book in the TOC. You might also want to add a "New in this Version" topic that explains the difference with, perhaps, links to the appropriate topics for the old dialogs.

This would be easy to maintain for new versions as it would be a matter of simply removing the topics. It would also make it clear that there are new dialog boxes, but still provide easy access to information about the old dialog boxes.

Did that make sense? I can see the set up in my head, but because it's 7AM I'm having trouble translating those images. :-)

"This is either madness or brilliant."
"It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide." -- Will Turner & Captain Jack Sparrow
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com