getting started in tech writing

Subject: getting started in tech writing
From: Andreia Wilson <awilson42 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:51:26 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Hi folks,

I have a few questions.

I am interested in contracting as a tech writer; I have enjoyed the writing/documentation
aspects of my previous work, and there is more tech writing opportunity in my town
than in any of the other fields I've worked in. I also notice that tech writers
make more money than do junior SQA engineers or web production artists, and I really,
really enjoy writing.

Education: do not have a bachelor's degree (I am still working my way through school,
which is why I'm interested in contract/temp work). I bring this up because I notice
many positions want a bachelor's degree. I have a vocational certificate in graphic
communications, however, and years of work experience in various fields.

Experience: I have a few years of experience with Software Quality Assurance (including
documentation testing, error reports); also production graphics and web development.

Writing: in employment, I wrote extensive step-by-step documentation and other reports.
Following the "dot-bomb" I went back to school for a year where I worked
on the school newspaper as a journalist.

I also am a semi-fanatical devotee of the Adobe products and write Photoshop tutorials
for fun (and maybe, someday, profit...?) and for the benefit of other users. I'm
a member of the San Diego Photoshop Users Group. I've been a tutor for Dreamweaver and Photoshop, and am in the process of writing a workbook for my students to follow.

What do I need to do to get started? Where do I go? Is there more training I can
get?

There are positions right now I could apply for, that I've noticed. How would I
write a targeted resume for these, focusing on the writing experience I do have?

How can I get the experience I need using the documentation software?

- Dreia W.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com