Re: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 07:49:17 -0700 (PDT)

> Tech comm/tech writing/tech editing degrees should
> not necessarily
> require "tech" courses in engineering or science.

I couldn't disagree more. I think a
"communications/writing/editing" degree shouldn't
require tech courses, but a *technical*
comm/writing/editing degree certainly should. These
students should attend roughly the same first (and in
some cases second) year classes as any
engineering/science student. These "introductory"
classes set the tone for the next three years of study
and acclimate the student to thinking analytically
about technology and science.

> Had I focused on one "tech" area I may not have
> been as versatile.

But you assume that is what is meant by a technical
course of study.

> With the
> lack of jobs, it has been extremely helpful to be
> able to pick up and
> learn any "tech" area along the way.

So why not foster those skills in school?

> The main skills that have been
> paying the bills have been a solid background in
> writing and editing.

Right, the focus of the curriculum.

> And I often find
> employers using "temp to perm" arrangements to "try
> out" workers and
> ensure they can get the job done as required.

I've found this arrangement to be less than optimal
from the employer side, as you tend to limit your
candidates to those who will accept a temporary
arrangement. Not to say that in itself is bad, but the
candidate pool is thinned prior to interviewing just
by the nature of the position (temp to perm), as many
(myself included) would rather wait for a FT position
than gamble on a temp arrangement going permanent.

Maybe it's just me, but as a candidate I'm looking for
an employer that will invest in me and my skills and
provide the framework for advancing those skills. As
an employer, I'm looking for someone who is committed
to the profession and who will be committed to my
company. That is, I am extremely hesitant to hire a
temp because, for me and my company, the investment in
an employee is a valuable one and not something to
risk throwing away on a temp arrangement.

> Proficiency in a broad variety of software
> applications and computer
> skills

Tools are tools. Anyone with an IQ over 80 can be
taught to use them.

> Production experience; ability to ensure paper and
> electronic documents
> are produced efficiently, quickly, accurately;
> expertise in photocopying
> and in producing PDF/HTML

Photocopying?!?!?

> Ability to work quickly with online rather than
> paper files

Does this really need to be stated now, in the year
2003? I mean for a serious techcomm/writ candidate?

> Project management, organizational, and time
> management skills
> (with ability to stick to schedule, budget, and
> quality that was planned
> for; ability to work out labor hours and scope with
> managers)

I require this of my employer as well.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com