Re: HTML --> PDF workflow: advice wanted

Subject: Re: HTML --> PDF workflow: advice wanted
From: Sean Wheller <seanwhe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:59:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> John Cornellier wrote:
> > I'm looking for "best practice" advice to convert
> HTML into PDF as a
> one-off project.
>
> Suggestion:
>
> 1. Import all the HTML files into Word or FrameMaker
> 2. Do manual cleanup (probably unavoidable in any
> case).
> 3. Create PDF from the Word or FM file with the
> usual Windows tools.
>
> Word is actually very good at *importing* HTML. If I
> recall correctly, Word
> honors your stylenames and formatting in the CSS
> file associated with the
> imported HTML file.
>
> Mike O.

John.

Hints: If you want to use the XML route.

Run Tidy on your HTML files to get XHTML.
Parse them to ensure validity using a tool like Saxon
or Xerces.

Then Transform them to XSL-FO using a processor like
Xalan. The XSL-FO can be transformed to PDF, RTF, PS
etc. The style-sheet will be bland and default but you
can fix that through a customization layer.

You can always then use the XHTML for viewing in a Web
Browser and as the source for your PDFs.

If you want to take it the next step. Just Transform
the XHTML to Docbook XML and manage the source there.

Sean Wheller

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com