Re: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Skills, College Degrees, Marketable Skills
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:19:15 -0700 (PDT)

> Just a wee bit of clarification. I never said
> "tech" courses were
> unnecessary. I said tech comm degrees "should not
> necessarily" require tech courses.

I honestly don't see the difference in the two
statements. Tech courses *should* be required in a
Tech Comm degree program. Else, what distinguishes it
from Communications, or English, or Journalism?
Slightly different theory courses... which are
supplied for interpretation and to get students
thinking, for the most part (at least that's my view).
I think a Tech Comm degree program *should* include
"100 level" science courses, at minimum. Comp Sci
should be a must (for programming skills, and for
non-software writers, to foster hard analytical
thinking beyond basic mathematics).

> Perhaps I'm assuming that all other
> learning institutions
> already do require fundamental courses in science
> and technology. At
> least that was true for me.

For me as well. Hell, I even took a course in
thermodynamics.

> Aren't
> all well-rounded universities these days requiring
> the usual battery of
> science and technology courses?

I don't think so. I think each school has a different
curriculum, and even if science courses are offered
and encouraged for non-science majors, the requirement
is iffy.

> It is certainly important to know your
> subject matter and your audience.

True. But college can only prepare you for approaching
that. Very few people go through college with the
mindset of "I want to be a technical writer in the
object-oriented programming industry, catering to
developers and power users". Most go through with the
mindset of "I hope this class isn't filled up already,
as I really need an easy elective this semester,
preferably one that allows me to keep my Mondays and
Fridays free of classes, cuz I love those long
weekends!"

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com