RE: corporate IT and security (was Leaving Techwhirlers)

Subject: RE: corporate IT and security (was Leaving Techwhirlers)
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:46:05 -0400

Goober,

Mayhap it depends on the size of the company. If I ran an automatic Windows
update that hadn't passed through the various corporate processes, I'd
probably be fired on the spot. This corporation takes its security very
seriously, and they don't trust it to any single vendor.

Making any kind of generalizations about IT departments is kind of risky...
We have a great IT department for our little wholly owned, but they stand at
the mercy of the big company that owns us. We don't dictate security policy,
we just follow it. Doesn't make me a stupid user for not updating my
machine... It just means I have to follow the rules.

Regards

Connie Giordano