Re: Leaving Techwhirlers

Subject: Re: Leaving Techwhirlers
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:09:38 -0700

"Goober Writer" <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote in message
news:214014 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> > Many IT departments specifically prohibit users from
> > installing any software that hasn't been vetted by
> > said department.
>
> I find it hard to believe that any IT department would
> frown upon using the native Windows Update feature to
> install critical updates. I've worked with some pretty
> anal IT departments, but all of them strongly
> recommended running the Windows Update feature (or
> setting it up to run automatically) to keep
> workstations up to date and safe.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. Many, many Microsoft "fixes" have
broken other things. Why just at the beginning of this very year, an IE
update broke a significant function of HTML Help. The Woody's Watch
newsletter have well-documented stories of Microsoft patch horror stories.

IT gurus have been quoted in various media blaming users for not applying
patches as they are made available. Reliable IT folk (as well as
knowledgeable users) know to be skeptical, espcially of Microsoft claims,
and will test patches thoroughly in thier own sandboxes before recommending
them to their users.

Yes, Windows Update should be run, but not without caution.

Chuck Martin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com