Webinar delivery (was Re: eHelp's "Mustang" FM ==> HTML conversion tool)

Subject: Webinar delivery (was Re: eHelp's "Mustang" FM ==> HTML conversion tool)
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:20:35 -0400

Sean Brierley wrote:

Interesting, you weren't prepared to pay for the sales
demo but you are still interested in the product?

For me, a bad experience on the pre-sales end would
tend to diminish my interest .... Just a pre-coffee
thought. Am surprised there is a fee for the demo
(even though it clearly has costs). I wonder why they
couldn't deliver the audio via the internet, also?

Two reasons I can think of.

One is that a webinar is an interactive event, so participants who wanted to speak would all need to have appropriate hardware and an upload bandwidth that supports audio, which kinda works against the idea of delivery over the Web to a wide public audience.

The second, and I think more limiting, reason is bandwidth. The companies that host the webinars are taking a live feed from the presenter's shared desktop (whatever the presenter is doing on the desktop is going to the hosting company), compressing it (rather drastically, meaning you need to be careful about your graphics if you are the presenter), and then streaming it out in real time to however many people are logged in for the demo--including people on dial-ups. That's a lot of bytes getting turned around very fast. I think trying to squeeze audio into the package might result in such degraded performance that nobody would find it acceptable.

However, I know that when we run webinars we foot the phone bill by providing a toll-free number for the call-in. I have no idea why eHelp chose not to do that.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com