Article for Intercom, national magazine of the Society for Technical Communication

Subject: Article for Intercom, national magazine of the Society for Technical Communication
From: paulturner1 -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:44:27 +0000

Hi people,

I have been asked to write an article about the offshoring of technical
writing jobs. This article will appear in the January 2004 issue of Intercom,
the national magazine of the Society for Technical Communication.

My deadline for submitting a 1,400-1,500-word article is October 10th. I was
offered this opportunity today.

Now I would like your help. Any guidance from your chapter is appreciated.

I intend to write an article that describes offshoring among technology
departments in general and its direct impact on the jobs of technical writers
and related professionals in the U.S. This article is not intended to
castigate or "out" specific companies.

I am looking for your input; you can remain anonymous or provide your name,
with or without a company name (depends on the context of your information and
your wishes).

Do you lose your tw job or tw positions in your office to an offshore
location? Do you train an offshore worker, your replacement?

I am especially interested in companies that had offshored projects and
departments, and then brought them back to the U.S. after evaluating the
impact.

This article should also guide readers to other sources of information:
websites, organizations, studies (academic and industry) and so on.

Thank you for reading.

Best wishes for your horizon.

-- Paul Turner

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com