RE: Article for Intercom, national magazine of the Society for Technical Communication

Subject: RE: Article for Intercom, national magazine of the Society for Technical Communication
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:05:24 -0500

Erika wrote:

>>STC is not a national but an international organization as John
already pointed out, which, despite of its numerous non-US members is
infuriatingly >>US-centered. (I have voiced my opinion on this in the
past, in the magazine itself.) Think about how non-US TWs may feel and
draw your own >>conclusions.

I will not argue that Intercom is US-centered, but could it be that is
because a large percentage of members of STC are in the US? I am not
saying there shouldn't be an article or two in each issue addressing
matters concerning non-US tech writers, but if you consider the fact
that tech writers in Australia might be concerned with different issues
as compared to tech writers in Ireland, having a tech writing magazine
that is going to make everyone happy would be impossible.

When I was a member of the Twin Cities STC chapter, they sent out their
own newsletter, that might be the best for non-US STC members instead of
retooling Intercom to address tech writing issues outside of the US.

While Erika claims that non-US tech writers are not happy with how
Intercom is set up, ire would be reversed if Intercom was not
US-centered because there are far more US STC members than STC
international members.

Again, retooling the current format of Intercom to be more world
friendly is not feasible. Either have a non-US Intercom or chapters
produce their own newsletter/magazine for their members. I do not see
anything wrong with the current format of Intercom, but then again, I am
based in the US.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone
http://www22.verizon.com/airfone

Stay in Touch - even in the air
Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM)
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more ...

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com