RE: Tests for a Contract TWing Opp.

Subject: RE: Tests for a Contract TWing Opp.
From: "Anita Legsdin" <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:15:45 -0700

When I was a contractor, I registered with most of the temp agencies in my area. There was only one that administered tests--presumably it was to have the same base for everyone's evaluation. This agency was known, at the time, to offer the lowest rates for contractors, and charged the highest markup of all TW agencies in the area. (A fact I found out only much later.) According to people I spoke to who took their tests, the experience was all the same: no one who was looking for a position more advanced than assistant copyeditor/proofreader was ever called back.

If it's the client company requesting the timed test, then I'd be suspicious why they asked the recruiter to administer it. If it's the recruiter administering the test to everyone, then they could just be extremely conservative.