Re: documenting desktop to web application

Subject: Re: documenting desktop to web application
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:32:00 -0700

Sean Wheller wrote:

> Based on the time for development and the reason being
> to obtain knowledge of how the FAT APP works, I would
> not recommend, if possible, that a book be used to
> define the spec for any application.

No, *one* of the reasons was to document the functions of the software.

The request was for user documentation for the existing software...and
18 months is a long time to expect your users to go without
documentation, no matter how long they've already gone without any.

[me] Identical behavior may even be a requirement of the
[me] web-based app.

> Behavior under a browser is not the same as a FAT APP.
> Sometime more clicks are required, sometimes less.
> Functionality can however be duplicated. Then again,
> any company that develops an application for 18 months
> and does not add functionality is very rare.

Rare, schmare. I'm just saying that, since we don't know the
requirements of the project, we should answer the question that was asked.

> they live until now without [documentation]. Why all the rush.

Um, because they've been living without it until now.

> I think it's more the lack of an SRS that is the problem.

Purely conjecture on your part. If you read the original post, you'll
see that user documentation is what's been asked for. A record of the
functions of the existing application are only one of the reasons that
documentation will be useful.

> You may also try XML.

At last, something we agree on. :)

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com