Re: documenting desktop to web application

Subject: Re: documenting desktop to web application
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:57:52 -0400

I jumped in mid-thread and was responding to some comments (about
documenting web apps) that were already veering off the original topic
(although interesting).

But getting back to the original post....

Leanne Sanderson wrote:
> One of the reason's they want to document the app now, is to get down
> on paper everything the application does, to aid them in converting the
> application to a web app. - which my company will also be doing.

Short of launching a major new requirements-gathering effort, then sure,
writing a user manual is certainly a good way to capture the functionality
of the soon-to-be-legacy app. I've done this myself in the past.

I'd probably start this kind of job by sketching out some pseudo-use cases,
just for my own analysis. And once you finished the manual you'd be a
natural choice to work on the new development.

While you are analyzing the old app and writing the manual, if you have time
to start creating wireframes or prototypes for the new web UI, you'd be way
ahead of the curve.

Mike O.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com